Here’s a lighter version of a usually deep-fried, high carbohydrate, high-calorie meal. Note that you’ll need a waffle iron to make this dish.
- Prep time: 20 mins
- Yield: 5 servings
- Serving size: 2 waffles (4-inch square) + 3 chicken strips
- whole wheat flour 1/4 cup
- egg whites 3
- nonstick cooking spray 1
- hot sauce 1 tbsp
- cornmeal 1/2 cup
- salt (optional) 1/2 tsp
- black pepper 1/2 tsp
- chicken breasts (boneless, skinless) 1 lbs
- large egg 1
- skim milk 1 cup
- plain nonfat Greek yogurt (non-fat) 1/2 cup
- canola oil 2 tbsp
- baking soda 1/2 tsp
- whole wheat flour 1 1/2 cup
- baking powder 1 1/2 tsp
- egg whites 3
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Coat a baking sheet with cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, add the whole wheat flour. In a second small bowl, whisk together the egg whites and hot sauce. In a third small bowl, mix together the corn meal, salt (optional), and pepper.
- Slice chicken breasts lengthwise into 1-inch thick strips (this should make 15 strips). Dredge each strip in the flour (and shake off the excess), then dip in the egg white, then coat in the corn meal, and lay on the prepared baking sheet.
- Once all of the chicken strips are coated, spray each strip with cooking spray on both sides. Bake for 20 minutes.
- While the chicken is cooking, preheat a waffle iron according to manufacturer directions (set it to high). In a small bowl, whisk together the egg, milk, yogurt, and oil.
- In a large bowl, sift together the baking soda, whole wheat flour and baking powder.
- In another bowl, whip the egg whites to stiff peaks.
- Mix the wet ingredients into dry ingredients until combined. Gently fold in the whipped egg whites until combined. Cook the waffles according to your waffle iron instructions. For 4-inch square waffles, each waffle uses 1/2 cup batter. Cook the waffles until they are dark golden brown.
- Serve two waffles with 3 strips of chicken.
- Calories 400
- Total Fat 10g
- Saturated Fat 1.5g
- Cholesterol 90mg
- Sodium 460mg
- Total Carbohydrate 44g
- Dietary Fiber 5g
- Total Sugars 5g
- Protein 35g
- Potassium 530mg
Choices/Exchanges: 3 Starch, 4 Lean protein
Source: Diabetes Food Hub
This site displays Affiliate links. Click here to read the Disclaimer.